Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Running barefoot


Someone please clue me in on this phenomenon. I have witnessed 3 people in the last month running barefoot. What??? I was at a stop light in downtown Dallas when this guy came running across the street barefoot. I stared for a long time to make sure I wasn’t crazy. I wasn't crazy. Then last week, I was coming from the Katy Trail and two girls passed me running barefoot. Again, I stared. I’m puzzled by the whole thing. I’m weird about clean feet and I think it’s a tiny bit gross and slightly strange. I’ve seen plenty of people run barefoot in the sand, but this seems dangerous. I could MAYBE see trying this technique on a running track that sees little else but sneaker traffic; however, running barefoot on a busy street that’s littered with trash and multiple construction or work crews, I say, “No thank you!” I kept thinking, what if one of them stepped on a nail or something…yikes! I’m sure there is a benefit to this, so please enlighten me with what it is. And, does it hurt? It looks like it would be painful.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! I think it's crazy! I know that there has been some research on the form of it. They say you run on the balls of your feet rather than on the heal where there is a lot of shock and impact to your body. They also say that it is a more efficient style, because when you run on your heals it is like you are putting the breaks on every step. I don't know, but I also wrote a post about it if you want to look at it.

    http://writingwordsdown.blogspot.com/2010/06/running-barefootwhat.html

    ReplyDelete