Thursday, April 30, 2009

May Day Baskets…a Nebraska thing?



I love the first day of May because it can mean only one thing…it’s May Day and it means making May Day baskets, filling them with candy, leaving them on a friend’s doorstep, ringing the doorbell and running like hell. Okay, I actually haven’t done that since I was little but I would love to do it again. When I mention this tradition to people, I get a look like I have horns growing out of my head. I get this look often when I refer to things from Nebraska or my childhood. Like the time I asked Holly to hand me a koozie for my beer and she looked at me like WTF??? She politely told me that they refer to them as “huggies” in Illinois and that she had never heard the term koozie before; therefore, I must be nuts. Or, like the many times I ask for a pop and I get the “Oh you poor thang, you must be from the Midwest” response…whatever that means.

I want to know if I’m alone in my May Day haze and if this special little holiday spans other states besides Nebraska. Man, just talking about it makes me want to get out my Styrofoam cups so I can decorate my little heart out. It's too bad my neighbors have security cameras on their house otherwise; I would be ringing doorbells like crazy tomorrow.







8 comments:

  1. Never heard of it. I love the idea though.

    A few weeks ago we were in Chicago at the Lego store in the mall. Jack got a sword and was just going to carry it out, I asked Jack if he wanted a sack and the salesman said I must be from So. IL becuase they call it a bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry if I made you feel stupid about the "Koozie/Huggie" confusion. If it makes you feel better, now Chad and I ask each other for a Koozie and then chuckle a little. Our lives truly have brightened since you came into the picture.
    Sorry, but I have never heard of the May Day thing either. It does sound like a nice tradition though.
    Bob used to have a May Day party every year, it is too bad he stopped that tradition.
    So let me ask this one, do you drink beer on Cinco de Mayo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, I only have one yes to this. My co-worker from Wisconsin said they use to do this when they were little. She said they made theirs in school.

    Sarah, you are such a trendsetter. I think you should get this May Day thing going for Newton. You'll be the Queen of Newton.

    Holly, you have never made me feel stupid. I guess it's the same as never hearing of pork burgers before. I don't know what I would without them now...I'm addicted to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still want a pork burger by the way!

    I have never heard of this but it's a great idea. I want to do it! I just feel like now a days that no one trusts anyone to eat random candy left by other people. I know my Dad's neighborhood leaves us buckets of candy for different holidays and my dad never eats it. But he also thinks everything had cooties. He's a germ-a-phobe.

    I'll help you! I don't mind running to someone's door, ringing the doorbell, and running away.

    I refer to them as koozies also. I have never heard of huggies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abby took her baskets around and is now pissed off that she doesn't have one yet!!! A tradition on May Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have never heard of it, but if you want to bring something to our house you would be welcome with open arms. We miss you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Ashley! This is so funny, I was thinking the other day if Nebraskans were the only one's that did this! I may steal your post and get some answers from my friends too! I was going to make them this year for Ruby to leave on people's steps and then thought...huh, would that be wierd to run and hide from our neighbors..would they even know what it was? Your little May basket cups are darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, Ashley, all those people that commented are from NE. The "Smith" family is Sarah Wilkerson...and the others are people from Omaha too! So, rats, looks like I'm starting a new tradish in Utah!! WWOOO HOOOO watch out Utahns!!

    ReplyDelete